Autism is different for everyone. Some people may need little or no support, whereas some people might need a full time carer.
It is not clear what causes autism but it can often affect people who are in the same family.
People with autism might act in a different way to others. Those with autism might have the following:
- Difficulty communicating and interacting with others
- Find it difficult to understand how other people think or feel
- Find bright lights or loud noises overwhelming, stressful or uncomfortable
- Might get anxious or upset about unfamiliar situations and social events
- Those with autism might take longer to understand information
- Might do or think the same things repeatedly
For more information, check the NHS website!